Redevelopment of the lot at the corner of Elbow Dr. and Southland Dr. (former ESSO site)
Royop Development Corporation has submitted a land use redesignation application to The City for the vacant lot at the corner of Elbow and Southland Drives (where the ESSO station used to be).
This application proposes to change the designation of this property to allow for:
- small to mid-scale commercial developments
- mixed-use buildings (e.g. commercial storefronts with apartments or offices above)
- commercial developments (e.g. office buildings)
- a maximum building height of 20 metres (an increase from the current maximum of 10 metres)
- a maximum building floor area of 6,912.5 square metres, based on a building floor to parcel area ratio (FAR) of 3.5
- the uses listed in the proposed C-COR1 designation
If this application is approved by City Council, the overall distribution of buildings, building design, mix and size of uses and site layout details such as parking, landscaping and site access will be determined later at the development permit review stage.
You can view the status of the application and more information on The City's website here.
At the request of the Community Association, a representative from Royop Development Corporation submitted the following statement about the project:
Royop purchased the corner of Southland & Elbow as we saw a great opportunity to get back involved with the Southwood community. The principals of Royop are extremely familiar with this corner. They purchased the original K Mart in the early 90s and created the Southwood Corner as it's seen in its current version. In fact, they have the owned the site twice. Further, the next generation of Royop grew up in the SW community of Woodlands, played hockey with many teammates that lived in Southwood, Haysboro and Acadia and attended Henry Wise Wood. I can remember as a kid playing in the park next to the library and borrowing books from that library. With close proximity to the LRT station and an extremely busy intersection that we drive by every day, we can’t wait to activate that corner.